These are offered in modules that work in the RGB color space.

The grayscale value g is calculated as 0.3*R + 0.59*G + 0.11*B - that's a simple and rather common way of weighting the individual channels to get a grey image.

OTOH the L value is calculated out of a RGB -> HSL color space conversion. We could have left L out of the offered channels but as we anyhow wanted to allow users to select on Hue and Saturation the L channels came as a cheap add-on.

Ulrich