I always thought white balance should be done off of a white card not that
I understand how (why might be a better term) selecting an area of a color
(or even multiple colors) adjusts all colors or how it does it. I would
think if you should select a 18% gray/ x brightness white card area the
computer should adjust that area to be that gray/white and adjust the RGB
colors around it to match. That is what I meant originally.

In any case..... how do you use the gray card to set exposure.
(also.... please cc the list because the only reason I got this message
 from Lorenzo is because it was in someones inline)

>>> Printing a gray card is a bad idea: you need a very good an perfectly
>>> calibrated printer for this and good non-glossy paper. Otherwise you do not
>>> get perfect gray and you get a random shade of color in all your shots
>>> where you use it. Just buy one.
>>>
>>> For white balance, as Ivanov said, any gray is good, actually you
>>> typically use a white card. So *just take a white sheet from the
>>> printer a use that.* I did this in several occasions and works really
>>> fine. The minor problem is that paper is not "perfectly neutral white" but
>>> can vary slightly so if you are looking for ultimate perfection buy a WB
>>> card (X-Rite, Opteka, etc.).
>>>
>>> The gray 18% thing is about setting the exposure, not the white balance.
>>> Of course you can use the gray card for white balance too but it's not its
>>> main purpose. Typically gray 18 targets are white on the other side for WB.
>>>
>>> Often white balance cards came in set of three pieces: white, gray and
>>> black. Almost always the gray here is not gray 18 so it is not good for
>>> exposure reference only for WB.
>>>

>>> Bye
>>>
>>> Lorenzo