I can supply one scenario.

In darkroom, using the film-strip to select the photo to be edited.
If I press a Function key to set the colour label, or a numeric to set the
star rating, the setting is made on the photo which has the mouse pointer
over it in the film strip. Not the selected photo (i.e. the one visible in
the darkroom).
This seems wrong to me, and causes me problems. I've NEVER want to set the
rating for a photo that is not visible in the darkroom.

Here's another. In the lighttable, the Image information in the left-hand
pane shows the information for the photo under the pointer. Not the
selected photo. In this case, I can't see any other behaviour makes sense,
as there maybe multiple selections.