darktable makes use of GraphicsMagick to read certain non-RAW file formats. However, we only accept those formats that are whitelisted in imageio_gm.c:_supported_image(). According to http://www.graphicsmagick.org/formats.html GraphicsMagick is able to read PSD files, but I heard that the support is not reliable. Therefore the PSD format is not whitelisted. If you are willing to experiment you could add PSD to the supported files for doing your own tests. Don't forget to alter image.c:dt_image_is_raw() as well. And of course, all this does not change to fact that darktable is not able to write PSD files.

Ulrich