On Sat, Sep 30, 2017, at 04:37, Remco Viëtor wrote:
> On samedi 30 septembre 2017 12:18:00 CEST junkyardspar...@yepmail.net wrote:

> > > You do realize that changing version like that is not exactly
> > > guaranteed to work, right?
> >
> > What exactly are the differences to watch out for? I seem to remember
> > digging into this before, but diffing some files from the backport and
> > master didn't turn anything up.
>
> You might want to have a look here:
> http://lensfun.sourceforge.net/manual/dbformat.html

Thanks, I'm well aware of that page, as I create, add, and remove database
files from my local lensfun db in the process of creating lens profiles from
user submitted files via the github repository. Not only does that page not
address my question about version differences between 1 and 2, but neither does
the more specifically-intended-to page linked from it:

 http://lensfun.sourceforge.net/manual/db_versions.html

Hence my question, but it should have been posted at the lensfun list, not
here. Sorry, disregard.

> From my understanding of what's written there, if you have to resort to the
> tricks you describe (removing <!DOCTYPE and downgrading the version), you
> might be using an old version of the library.

This is simply the observable difference between the version 1 files as
provided in bundles or via lensfun-update-data, and the files as they are
currently in the master branch. It is the difference between the file being
loaded by darktable or not, as empirically experienced by me during the course
of juggling many of these files.

> And why should darktable worry or know about lensfun internals? The whole
> reason of using a library is that you don't have to learn/understand all the
> gritty details. Counterpart of that is that you shouldn't modify said
> internals, and even less tell others to do so, unless you give a very good
> reason for such modification (and "darktable may not like them (you'll see a
> warning on the console output)" is /not/ a good reason...).

The database files are *intended* to be user creatable, and are not library
internals. The reason is the one stated above, and it's a very good reason. :)

--
jys