On samedi 28 octobre 2017 07:27:39 CEST Colin Adams wrote:
> Well that's telling you the opposite - your package manager is determining
> to install lensfun along with darktable - a sensible decision.

To elaborate a little bit:
If you install e.g. Darktable in the normal way for your system, you use a
package manager. The package manager does not work with the source code of the
different programs, but with compiled packages.
The maintainers of the system (e.g. Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Redhat, ...) have
indicated in the package metadata that certain other packages must be present
on your system as well. If such a package is missing/too old, it will be
installed/updated automatically by the package manager. Typically, those are
libraries which are not maintained by the same group as the main program you
want to install. (or are logically separate parts, like the lensfun
liblensfun-data and liblensfun0: having a separate package for the data allows
separate update of the lens data).

In the case of darktable on your system, it looks like lensfun and openjp are
registered as requirements (i.e. packages Darktable depends on), along with a
number of others, some of which were present already on your system, like the
system C and C++ libraries. Most package managers provide a way to see all
dependencies.