On 1 Feb 2018 15:19, "Matthew Harrison" <matthe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Why would compress history stack do that [keep disabled modules]?

On 31 January 2018 at 18:38, Tobias Ellinghaus <m...@houz.org> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 31. Januar 2018, 19:31:29 CET schrieb Sergii Dymchenko:
> > For me having disabled modules in history is very useful, because the
> > modules may have some non-default parameters set, and later I may want to
> > re-enable them.
> > For example, I can apply the watermark module, change some
> colors/position,
> > export with the watermark.
> > Later I can disable the watermark module to export for some other
> purpose.
> > If I want to export with a watermark again I want it to remember
> > colors/position I set before, even after stack compression.
>
> There is an even more important reason to keep disabled modules: When
> turning
> off any of the default modules, like sharpen or (for raw files) the
> basecurve
> you need that entry in the history stack. Removing it will turn the module
> back on.
>
> > -Sergii.
>
> Tobias
>
> [...]

Suppose you edit a bunch of files, and make use of some plugin (e.g. some
version of denoising) in all of them.
Then, while processing one file, you realise that denoising module X works
better in your case than denoising module Y, which you used previously. So
you disable Y, enable X, and clean up (compress) your history. If disabling
Y were removed, you wouldn't be able to copy and paste "disabled Y, enabled
X" in append mode to your other images, or save this as a style. One could
argue that you could, after compressing your history, re-enable and then
disable Y so its removal is again (a 'copy-pasteable') part of your stack.

Kofa