I do think I am talking about a 3. type of use cases...

There are for sure many reasons or use cases why not to remove a
disabled module during the photo processing work flow.

My point is, that at a final step, at the end of the work flow, all the
selections and decisions have been made already. Then and only then I do
want to do the final compress and clean.

At that point in time a remove of unused or disabled modules would be
very helpful.

Only this clean stack might be the basis for a new style or used for
copying further.

Not arrived yet at this final step, in between or during the work flow,
there is no need for removing the entries for disabled modules...

... and at that time no need to compress the history stack but at the
end of the process.

Haribo M