Hello,

In addition to Peter and Patrick posts, and I think this has been discussed
many times - here and elsewhere -, it all depends on one's tastes.

Some people will love the out-of-the-camera jpegs, while others will hate them.

The fact that 999 will say they like an output very much doesn't mean you will
have to like it too.

All people don't feel the same looking at the same scene.

RAW allows to process photos according to one's tastes and feelings.

I think, with no intention of injuring anyone, that jpegs are for people who
don't want to bother with processing, or who need instant outputs.

Should I go further, I would compare RAW is family cooking, and jpeg with
industrial food.

The cameras embedded software make excellent industrial food, Darktable helps
you cook excellent home-made recipes, should you take the time to learn cooking.

Regards,

J.-Luc

> Message du 02/02/18 12:55
> De : "Diego Queres"
> A : "Peter Cripps"

> Copie à : darktable-user@lists.darktable.org
> Objet : Re: [darktable-user] Re: Problem when I open raw files to edit on
> DARKTABLE

Yes I understand. Because opening the file and it being different from jpg
causes certain frustration.

I'll test another softwares too, to see the result.

:

> I see Jean-Luc has made a couple of interesting posts. All I have to add is
> that I opened your .CR2 file, and I do see the same effects that you observe.
> This is on 2.4.1, Linux Mint 18.3. I also opened the file using Lightroom,
> and again saw an initial image much darker than the .jpeg, with some noise.

> I was able to match the jpeg pretty well by increasing exposure, reducing
> highlights, and tweaking levels. And profiled denoise did an excellent job,
> as Jean-Luc observed.

> In the past, several people have pointed out that the raw files are just a
> starting point, and you wouldn't necessarily expect them to match the jpeg.
> But I will say that I find it convenient if they do look very similar,
> especially if the in-camera jpeg processing is good.

On 02/01/2018 07:58 AM, Diego Queres wrote:

Ok,

I'll attach the original cr2 file. And the jpg file.

I suspect the problem can be color profile (or something like it)...

Maybe Darktable has problems to identify it... and let the picture darker.

I test open CR2 file with Picture Viewer and shows the picture ok.
When I open on Shotwell or Darktable, the picture shows darker and with noise...

But i don't know the exactly problem...

I use Darktable 2.4.0. Ubuntu 16.04.

 IMG_0337.CR2

 IMG_0337.JPG

:

> Can you post the .CR2 file for that picture? I saw the .CR2 that you posted
> earlier, but it was a different image; the roses weren't pure red like these.

On 01/31/2018 01:56 PM, Diego Queres wrote:

See the pictures: