* Jean-Luc CECCOLI <jean-luc.cecc...@wanadoo.fr> [02-02-18 15:10]:
> Hello,
>

> In addition to Peter and Patrick posts, and I think this has been discussed
> many times - here and elsewhere -, it all depends on one's tastes.
>
> Some people will love the out-of-the-camera jpegs, while others will hate
> them.
>
> The fact that 999 will say they like an output very much doesn't mean you
> will have to like it too.
>
> All people don't feel the same looking at the same scene.
>
> RAW allows to process photos according to one's tastes and feelings.
>
> I think, with no intention of injuring anyone, that jpegs are for people who
> don't want to bother with processing, or who need instant outputs.
>
> Should I go further, I would compare RAW is family cooking, and jpeg with
> industrial food.
>
> The cameras embedded software make excellent industrial food, Darktable helps
> you cook excellent home-made recipes, should you take the time to learn
> cooking.
>

> Regards,
>

> J.-Luc
>

> > Message du 02/02/18 12:55
> > De : "Diego Queres"
> > A : "Peter Cripps"
>
> > Copie à : darktable-user@lists.darktable.org
> > Objet : Re: [darktable-user] Re: Problem when I open raw files to edit on
> > DARKTABLE
> >

> Yes I understand. Because opening the file and it being different from jpg
> causes certain frustration.
> >

> I'll test another softwares too, to see the result.

> :
> >

> > I see Jean-Luc has made a couple of interesting posts. All I have to add is
> > that I opened your .CR2 file, and I do see the same effects that you
> > observe. This is on 2.4.1, Linux Mint 18.3. I also opened the file using
> > Lightroom, and again saw an initial image much darker than the .jpeg, with
> > some noise.
>
> > I was able to match the jpeg pretty well by increasing exposure, reducing
> > highlights, and tweaking levels. And profiled denoise did an excellent job,
> > as Jean-Luc observed.
>
> > In the past, several people have pointed out that the raw files are just a
> > starting point, and you wouldn't necessarily expect them to match the jpeg.
> > But I will say that I find it convenient if they do look very similar,
> > especially if the in-camera jpeg processing is good.

> On 02/01/2018 07:58 AM, Diego Queres wrote:
> >

> Ok,
>

> I'll attach the original cr2 file. And the jpg file.
>

> I suspect the problem can be color profile (or something like it)...
>

> Maybe Darktable has problems to identify it... and let the picture darker.
>

> I test open CR2 file with Picture Viewer and shows the picture ok.
> When I open on Shotwell or Darktable, the picture shows darker and with
> noise...
>

> But i don't know the exactly problem...
>

> I use Darktable 2.4.0. Ubuntu 16.04.
>

>  IMG_0337.CR2
>
>  IMG_0337.JPG

> [...]

AND, if you really like the in-camera jpgs that much or better, it is a
simple thing to save them rather than take the trouble to process the
raw's in in darktable.  if you want the look of the jpg instead of the
look from darktable, take the jpg and save effort and time.

I fail to understand the need for discussion.  every raw processing
software "except" that from the camera manufacturer shows a different jpg
when not showing the embeded one, and all suffer the same problem.  not
having access to the manufacturer's process(es).

develop or not, like or not.  IT IS A CHOICE for you.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode