If the operating system and window manager don't have compatibility
issues with the GPU, GPU processing in Darktable works like a charm
(and it's very useful, specially if you intend to hang onto that
computer for 5 years or more).

The caveats regarding Linux-GPU compatibility:
- if you want to use only open source drivers, you have to go to AMD
(NVidia's open source driver is much slower). The same applies if you
want to use Wayland. However, the open source drivers don't provide
OpenCL in a way that Darktable can use them, so you'll need to add
some libraries to get that working (look in Darktable's forum
archives).
- if you don't have problems with using proprietary drivers and X
Window System, I would recommend NVidia due to the longer and more
explicit commitment to provide (proprietary) driver support (important
for a long lifetime machine). Of course, this recommendation assumes
that NVidia will finally release a Wayland-compatible version of its
proprietary driver by the time all major distributions kill X for good
(not before 2023, when Ubuntu 18.04 support ends)

In any case, check Darktable's forum, the question about best GPU pops
every now and then.

Best regards,
Guillermo