Interesting, thanks for the rundown.  I don't really like the idea of proprietary graphics drivers, but it seems like Nvidia is still my best bet.  Hopefully someday the free AMD drivers will be up to par and I can switch back to them.

...now I just have to go see if I can get my hands on a decent Nvidia card without the bitcoin miners snapping them all up :p