>Using 'Edit-withGimp' export there is an 8 bit (jpeg ?) intermediary ( I
>assume) that may make a difference.

If you use "Edit with Gimp", it uses the formatting parameters you choose
just after (like while exporting to a file).
So if you choose a 16-bit Tiff, there will be a temporary file created with
this format and this file will be opened in Gimp.
The temporary file is in /tmp (default). You can try yourself with various
format and you can browse the directory and check for the file type.

Regards

J-L