Fascinating! So dt is clipping somewhere somehow, or the dng format
'pro' adobe somehow? :p

So, just taking this further and assuming the detail I was looking for
was in the red channel.. I was able to desaturate the reds... but
obviously this would not work if I had someone wearing red in the
photograph. Proof that the detail exists though, albeit in an odd
channel for clouds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slbor6tg6ymzd73/darkt_07.jpg?dl=0

Chris