What do I lose converting from CR2 RAW files to DNG? I always
    shoot raw but is there a benefit or a degradation to converting to
    DNG for future proofing my images?

What I recall reading on the list is generally against conversion to DNG. My understanding is that a) the format is being changed - so there is a chance something to not work as intended and b) some tags in the original RAW that are not used "now" may become useful in the future. Converting to a different format would loose these tags. I personally don't use DNG so I can't say anything about possible benefits.

Regards,