I run darktable on mac for many years now, and in fact I recently played
with it and benchmarked an eGPU using Mojave. Works perfectly fine for me,
migrated my image library yesterday.
For best performance, just make sure all opencl kernels are compiled. May I
suggest to get an iMac with a dedicated graphics card (Radeon Pro 5xx)
because I noticed my system becomes unresponsive when opencl is used on the
Intel Iris Plus only. And on top of this issue, opencl on Intel Graphics
doesn't really give you a proper speed advantage - a dedicated GPU however
does (very much so).

enjoy DT on mac ;)
 mike