I migrated from my Stretch install to Flatpak then back to Stretch
Backports for faster updates.
The migration itself was very easy. I just copied my config directory over
and it worked.
There were a couple hiccups in the Flatpak so I went to Stretch Backports
which had caught up in version. I intend to stay with Backports.

I tried the Firefox Snap and found the desktop integration to be worse than
in Flatpak. Everything is in the ~/snap directory including configs and the
filesystem integration sucks.
It may be better in a more recent Snap version.

Long story short, if you can live with the version in your distro's package
manager I would stay there. Hopefully it isn't giving you dependency
problems. The only benefit may be faster updates.

Good luck!