Good question :)

darktable (mostly) uses an unbounded color workflow, which means that L values outside their normal definition range, i.e. above 100, are handled like any other values.

The threshold parameter tells the module above which L value a pixel should be subject to color reconstruction. Due to the unbounded nature of the pixelpipe there is no reason to set this to 100 as a hard upper limit. In real life you will probably find few cases with threshold values above 100.

Ulrich