In the lighttable, if you select multiple pictures (ctrl or shift + click)
and place the mouse pointer over one of them you can use Z and the arrows
or the mouse wheel to switch between them.

In the shortcuts preferences you can assign a key to the "sticky preview"
to toggle the full screen preview.

If the mouse pointer is on a different image this is included in the set
too.

No need to label or rearrange the images, just select what you want to
compare.

Sadly this does not work with the darkroom, where Z always zoom only the
active image (quite useless in my opinion as it is identical to TAB) and
you cannot quickly zoom on another image for comparison. This my opinion
would be a nice improvement: the Z key in the darkroom should work as in
the lighttable, following the mouse pointer.

Lorenzo