On 2019-04-01 16:34, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Benjamin Daines <ben@digitalsand.photography> [04-01-19 18:46]:
In my workflow I find myself using multiple machines to work on the
same images.  My configuration right now on both machines is to have DT
look for updated xmp files on start up and that seems to work pretty
well.  I usually just ignore the window that pops up to tell me about
newer xmp files, unless the ones that I'm about to work on are listed,
then I select those and let it update the database.

However, there have been some situations where my previous work has
been wiped out when opening a folder on another machine.  Because of
this, I now habitually copy all my xmp files to a subfolder after
working on them in order to keep a back up, just in case.  Occasionally
I need to manually load these sidecar files.

Would an option to disable darktable's database and use just the xmp
files be a feasible option?  How about using something like syncthing
(Linux platform here) to keep the database synced between multiple
machines?  Would doing that cause any foreseeable issues?

How are other people dealing with using multiple machines to work onprojects,
any tips?
when I use any machine beside my main workstation to edit photos, I issue
darktable as:
   darktable --library :memory:
   import the photos to be edited
   finish the edits
   close dt
and back at my workstation, re-import the edited photos with their
accompanying xmp files.

have not encountered any problems with this work plan.
In theory... if you have 2 identical machines (for example linux)
shared network location for DT files
shared network location for the DB, configuration files and cache
same mounting point for the 2 machines

you could use DT on one or the other (one at a time) and the changes should be on the 2 machines.

BUT... I haven't tested the scenario please back up if you want to try it.

On the other hand - what Patrick is pointing to is based on experience.

Regards,