I use FreeFileSync (https://freefilesync.org/) to keep files on three laptops (2- Win 10; 1 - Ubuntu Linux) in sync.  When I open DT, I get a window that recognizes the updated xmp files (if any) and asks whether I want to overwrite older xmp files, just as you noted. The difference is that I usually let DT update.  I might consider using FreeFileSync update the db, but I'm not willing to mix Windows and Linux machines' db files until I know more about their compatibility and the chance of inducing major mal-boo-boos.

Willy