I think that dt is simply echoing the paper setup that you havve established in your printer driver system. I use TurboPrint for output and any odd paper size that I set in TP is immediately shown in dt.

David

On 2020-04-26 6:37 a.m., Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Les Bunch <lesbu...@fastmail.com> [04-26-20 09:28]:
Darktable 2.4.4, Linux mInt 18.3.

How does one create custom paper sizes.  Picking Custom from the list does
not do anything.
2.4.4 is quite old, current is 3.0[1,2]
you might consider upgrading.

current master build doesn't offer "custom" that I can find, but does
offer many, many, set sizes in which one is probably quite similar to your
requirements.  If not, I would opt to export the image and print directly
to my hp printer setting the size there.  Still there are other printing
applications which would suffice.