Yes I converted from nef to dng and did not keep the nef.
In my defense that happened many years ago when dng format first appeared
where I was new to digital imagery. Adobe made it sound good to me and
without much research I opted for the conversion.
I don't remember if I embedded the nef during conversion...how can I tell..?

Worth noting...I tried the Window version and got pretty well the same
results. My images still had that sepia tint to them but not as strong.