Ok, I have had a bit more success proceeding VERY cautiously this afternoon.

Obviously as I get into editing, i forget to look at the History stack with
Every Step i take, however I can definitely say I saw one instance of
switching Filmic RGB on & 2 references immediately appearing in the history
(I consolidated immediately to eliminate) & another instance where Colour
Balance was behaving weirdly (excessive effect), so I looked at the history
& 2 consecutive instances were there also, which i immediately
consolidated, & that clarified the edit. I can't say with 100% certainty
however that those 2 'history instances' were immediately instantiated on
activating the module.

So I do think there is some sort of issue, & the best i can narrow it down
to is that, whatever the condition of its appearance, it involves the
addition of activated modules to the history stack, & is occasional. Other
weird behavoiur i have witnessed is probably cumulative from the
instantiation in history error, resulting in logic errors with True / False
toggle status or similar ?

Perhaps whatever 'tests' are run on ensuring robustness on additions to the
history stack on activation could at least be run to confirm desired
behaviour? Or perhaps something specific to the OSX build has inadvertently
regressed? (sounds like i know what i'm talking about, not really, but i've
done a little bit of hobby coding in Python mainly. Engineering dropout ...)

Whatever is happening, it certainly isn't screaming 'robust' at me ...
whatever failings i may have as a user ...