I just want to share recent experience whereby my interactive response time
in the darkroom became more than 5 times better on my Windows 10
(pseudo-gaming) laptop.
Zooming in and out in some of my pictures, - with an active module stack of
about 25 to 30 modules -, took like 10 seconds before the image fully
resolved on my 2k monitor.  I now have it reduced to less than 2 seconds.

What did I do:

Step 1: 2 times better by settings for Windows and for the Windows NVIDIA
driver
. Windows graphical settings to use the "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q
Design" for hardware acceleration and especially for "performance" of the
darktable.exe
. Driver settings for using the "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design"
as preferred GPU via the NVIDIA settings panel
. Via the NVIDIA settings panel the preferences slider on "performance"
. Via the NVIDIA settings panel add the darktable.exe to use the "NVIDIA
GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design" GPU

Step 2: 2 to 3 times better by editing opencl parameters in darktablerc for
the following parameters (as per darktable manual):
. opencl_async_pixelpipe=TRUE
. opencl_micro_nap=0
(note that my monitor is connected to the Intel-processor integrated GPU via
a thunderbolt port)
. opencl_number_event_handles=128.

This is just recent experience.  I hope to have a stable darktable use in
the coming period.  If not I may come back with an update.

Does anyone have further suggestions for darktable performance on Windows or
darktable opencl performance ?

Thanks, Marc.