* Nikolaos Pantazis <pantazisnikol...@gmail.com> [03-06-21 05:30]:
> Hi, I use darktable 2.6 with debian stable. When I upgrade to debian 11,
> darktable will upgrade to 3.4. I use darktable for finetuning my paintings
> photograps. This job needs my physical paindings and pc monitor to be next
> to each other and this is very time consuming.
>
> Reading darktable 3.0.0 release notes:
> "When updating from the currently stable 2.6.x series, please bear in mind
> that your edits will be preserved during this process, but the new library
> and configuration will not be usable with 2.6.x any more, so making a
> backup is strongly advised."
>
> I do not understand what will happen with my edits:
> Will I be able to open my old edits and continue working on them?

yes

> Will I be able to adjust old modules, or add new modules to old edits?

yes, but with reservations.

the library.db for the newer dt will not be compatabile with your current
version.  and the newer version may (probably) have some different module
names and newer modules which will make changes to your images in a
different manner, but your old edit shoud still appear as now and you
should be able to continue to edit them.

to be completely safe, when making edits to old images, I would suggest
duplicating those images first (within darktable) and working on the
duplicates.  again, just to be safe.

good luck.
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode