I have used software including vue scan, silverfast, Epson scan and Canon
scan. One of the problems I have had is the capturing the dynamic range of
a color negative film. Clipping of the highlights is a real problem. One of
the solutions  I came up with is to scan the negative as a low contrast
positive (retains the orange mask), 16 bit tiff file using the IR channel
in the software to reduce dust and scratches and then letting DT's
negadoctor convert the image into correct colors. It does a good job. Also
negadoctor will work nicely on film photographed with a digital camera, but
then dust reduction may be an issue with some negatives. In my experience I
got the best results from Canon Scanner but they have now stopped
production of these. Not sure why. I would go back to the Canon scanner
over the Epson any day. But I head off on a tangent.

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 at 20:21, Frank J. <newslet...@fotodrachen.de> wrote:

> Am 06.11.21 um 02:11 schrieb David Vincent-Jones:

> Looks like I will have to do the scanning myself
>

> Darktable ist optimized für the development of raw-pics.
>
> Scanning (film, slides, ..) need other skills like reconstruction of
> original colors and detecting and removing dust on the film with a
> infrared-channel-scan.
>
> This is handled in software for scanning like VueScan.
>
> DT has no functions to read the 4th channel (IR) from scanner-raw for
> dust-removal.
>
> --
>
> Frank

Dr Terry Pinfold