On jeudi 9 décembre 2021 14:21:22 CET KueWW wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've downloaded ICC profiles from a printing laboratory.
> I've placed them in the ".config/darktable/color/out" and dt detects
> them. Everything's fine so far.
>
> Selecting the profile to SoftProof works and the result is shown well, I
> think.
>
> Even when I select the ICC profile to export the image using this
> profile dt says "the profile is replaced bay sRGB because the selected
> ICC profile is not supported". There are just some profiles this message
> appears. Some others seems to work fine.
>
> My question are:
> Why does the SoftProof preview seems to work and the export don't?
> What can I do to check / solve this issue?
Those ICC profiles you downloaded are "device profiles", not "colour spaces"
(yes, very confusing that they look the same...).

Device profiles are specific to a device, and describe the differences between
the colours a device actually shows, and those it is supposed to show
according to the colour space it uses. For that reason, you never (need to)
apply them on export. But when using such a profile in "soft proof" mode, you
can check if the colours in your image fit within what the device can
represent.

In your case, softproof will show if the print more or less corresponds to
what you expect. As paper and screen are completely different media, the
correspondence will always be only approximate (for starters, your screen
emits light, often too much, and paper only reflects light).

On export, you select a "colour space", which describes what observed colour a
given RGB triplet (for sRGB) represents (under defined lighting conditions).
And again, device profiles are not colour spaces, so cannot be used there.