* Chas G <cgoodwinart...@gmail.com> [01-11-22 10:16]:
> In a current thread, someone asked, "If you are more satisfied with the
> in-camera jpg, why are you bothering with dt and why are you shooting raw?"
>
> I know that a raw file can offer more data, and that darktable is thought
> of mainly as a raw converter. My take is that darktable can - and should -
> be thought of as an image editor that happens to be able to work with raw
> files.
>
> The large majority of images I use darktable on are jpgs from a cell phone.
> I do have a Nikon DSLR and and can shoot raw, but I frequently do not have
> the big camera with me.
>
> Top line cell phones produce shockingly good images nowadays - at least
> when the lack of a short lens or a long lens is not a problem. The old
> maxim that the best camera you have for a particular situation is the one
> you happen to have with you is still true. I have the cell phone with me
> more than I have a professional camera.
>
> If I never shot another raw again in my life, that would not change my view
> of darktable as the first choice in image editors. The speed, power, and
> fluidity of work via darktable appear unmatched.
>
> I'm not picking on the comment or the commenter. Far from it. It just
> happens to give me the chance to address a notion that deserves a wider
> audience, that darktable, as an editing tool, is bigger and more powerful
> than is generally advertised. Darktable is the best editor out there. Not
> just for raw files.

I made that comment and on further consideration, it was un-called for.
dt is excellent in processing images, raw and otherwise.  I perhaps was
becomeing somewhat frustrated trying to explain that the jpg images out of
camera were processed in-camera whereas the raw was not and felt the OP
believed otherwise.  many do not understand the out-of-camera jpg's are
not expected to represent how the unprocessed raw appears.

tks
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                   paka @ IRCnet oftc
What sort of day was it?                  A day like all days, filled with
those events that alter and illuminate our times...