* bwh vanBeest <b...@xs4all.nl> [01-12-22 09:43]:
> Thanks for all the reactions to my posting. I initially thought something was
> wrong with my camera-DT-combination, but now I learned otherwise. I have now
> learned what to do. Still, somehow it is unsatisfactory that a picture of
> which you know is exposed correctly is initially displayed in DT as
> underexposed.
>
> Regards
> Bertwim
> > On 12/01/2022 12:41 PM Remco Viëtor <remco.vie...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > > Same effect here.
> > >
> > > I use Olympus-cameras, RAW only, correction +/- 0 EV in the Camera.
> > >
> > > After importing in DT the default in module "exposure" is "+0.5 EV" but
> > > this is too dark for nearly all pictures.
> > >
> > > I need to use a correction between +1.5 and +2.5 EV for the best look.
> > >
> > > This is not new in DT 3.8 but in 3.6 (or 3.4?) with the change to
> > > scene-referred workflow.
> > >
> > > I never compared with camera JPG.
> > >
> > > Frank
> > You have two effects here: one is the exposure of the middle gray parts of
> > your image (the one that "exposure" works on), the other is the tone curve
> > applied by the camera. That tonecurve can add quite a bit of midtone
> > contrast,
> > limiting the room available for shadows and highlights, and also increase
> > the
> > apparent exposure a bit (to "protect" the shadows). That tone curve is
> > replaced by filmic, which tends to be softer/more delicate with the shadows
> > and the highlights.
> >
> > The correction you need to apply in exposure seems to depend on the camera
> > brand, I find I need to add about 1-1.5 EV for my Sony.
> >
> > Remco

it is a simple adjustment to make it very close and not to have to worry
about it and to find it unpleasant and have to complain about it.  set up
the automagic adjustment quit worrying about it.

and all of live is full of these situations, many which cost you monies
that darktable does not.  smile and be happy.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                   paka @ IRCnet oftc
What sort of day was it?                  A day like all days, filled with
those events that alter and illuminate our times...