On mercredi 6 avril 2022 09:48:05 CEST tony Hamilton wrote:
> If an image is removed from the dt catalog in the windows version, is
> the tag and metadata, which had been applied to the image, automatically
> lost? Or is it still available in some way such that if the image is
> added back into the catalog, that tag and metadata will be re-associated
> with the image?
>
> As a secondary question, where is this data held, in the Windows version?
I'll let the devs answer the part about where data is stored and whether re-
associating old data with a new image is possible...

My question is: would it be *acceptable* to have a newly imported image get
the data from an older, removed image? What criterium would you use to
associate the new image with the old data? "name" isn't particularly reliable,
"id" isn't possible (the 'new' images hasn't one yet...), so that would leave
a checksum or fingerprint (relatively slow operation).

Also, I'd expect the tags and added metadata to be stored in the database, and
remain there after just removing an image (just marked as deleted).
But: that database can be cleaned/purged/compressed every now and then. In
that case, the data of removed images *is* deleted from the database. And that
would make re-using existing data unpredictable...

Remco