HI David,
       with your experience you are probably aware of what I am about to
suggest. If you set the lighttable to display a lot of images you lose the
overlay text because the thumbnails become too small. When you reduce the
number of images displayed and the thumbnail size is big enough the overlay
text returns. I hope your problem is this simple.