ETTR is not over-exposing. It means to use the maximum exposure without
highlight clipping for best use of the DR of the camera to preserve most
details in shadows. But the problem with most cameras is, that the
histogram is normally based on the JPG-processed picture. And that it is
often difficult to see if small details are right of the histogram
(=clipped).

under-expose by 0.5 to 1 EV is to avoid loss of details in highlights.

Their is no single perfect way to get the optimal raw data for all
situations.

My personal approach is to use the automatic exposure of the camera with
an exposure correction by -0.5 to -1.0 EV. And with my Z6 if have the
option to select the highlight-saving metering for difficult light
situations.