On 21/10/2022 19:28, Jack Bowling wrote:
[ ... ]

box is way too sensitive, such that if you cleaned up spots too fast, it
would kill darktable unmercifully. I have a Ryzen 3900X (12 cores, 24
Hi
Ok, let's make a difference between one process (darktable) that is
crashing, or the full "system" (computer).
Darktable "crashes" do happen sometimes, to me as well. Not very often,
and the last time it happened, it was my own fault, not enough memory
and no swap space configured, so the kernel killed my process...

If darktable "crashes", hopefully we'll lose only data for the picture
that we are working on at the moment of the crash. The xmp files for the
other pictures hold all the information you need, and the db as well.
This "crash" can be any ungraceful termination, a "kill -9" would
suffice, if you want. That's "fine" for me. Using software is a risk.
Always.

Real problems (tm) occur if you machine crashes completely, for whatever
reason. That should not happen. Even Windows does not crash every day
any more (esp. when properly, i.e. not at all, used ;-)

Best regards,
        Michael

--
Michael Staats