On vendredi 16 décembre 2022 00:10:00 CET Willy Williams wrote:
> I've run into a challenge on my one Linux Mint 21 computer. Since
> yesterday, when I start darktable, I get the message below. I've deleted
> the lock files repeatedly, to no avail.  I've uninstalled and
> reinstalled darktable, but get the same message every time.  I am NOT a
> Linux wizard and haven't a good idea of how to resolve this issue.
> Anyone got some good advice?  I'm hoping to come to a successful
> resolution before darktable 4.2 springs out later this month.
>
> Willy Williams

I get such a message when I try to restart darktable too quickly after I
closed it. After a few seconds (10-20? at most), the problem solves itself (as
the previous run will have finished its clean-up).
Or you may have another copy running, e.g. on another virtual desktop.

 You can use several tools to check that (one you certainly have is "ps", so
try in a terminal window (no need to use root for this):
        ps -aux | grep -i "darktable"
That should show you any copy still running with an extra line for the "grep"
program, so if you see two or more lines, there is a copy running...
(what that command does: 'ps -aux' lists all running processes on your
computer, 'grep -i "darktable" ' then retains only those lines that have the
word "darktable" in them.)

Another cause might be an unexpected shutdown of your computer, after e.g. a
power cut; in such a case, darktable won't have had the time to clean up after
itself. (although that wouldn't explain why you' have to remove lock files
repeatedly).

Uninstalling and reinstall darktable won't remove the lock files, so it won't
help.

Also, if you need to manually remove the lock files, it might be a good idea
to verify the integrity of the databases before restarting darktable... The
locks are there to prevent database corruption by another copy of darktable,
so if they are there while there's no copy of darktable running, there's a
good chance the last shutdown wasn't done correctly. That means the database
may not have been closed correctly either.