Jean-Luc,

    I've rapidly come to the opinion that flatpaks are akin to the kiss of death.  I, too, will learn from this experience, and will do much better next time.  In the meantime, I've backed up all my settings for an easier installation using a more appropriate (to the Linux system) methodology.  Thanks again for your comments.  And thanks to Patrick, too, for his advice.

Willy Williams