> After the hint from François Delègue I tried presets for
> multi-image
> layouts.
> First I noticed, that I can't create a "print", if there is no
> printer
> reachable.-( After I switched one printer on, I have to restart
> dt, to
> notice this printer. It seems for me that dt only recognizes
> printers,
> which are "reachable" at startup. It would be nicer, if the search
> for
> printers is done every time, when the print view is selected. I
> think
> (or hope) it's not a long task.

This is one which has bothered/interested me for a while. There's already
similar code (if I recall) to detect when a tethered camera is plugged in after
startup.

> Second I noticed, that the maximum of 20 images per page are not
> very
> much. I hoped, that I can use the multi-image layout for something
> like
> a contact sheet.

Interesting! I would never have thought of this. I do wonder if it would be
annoying to by hand drag images to each box on the layout. Another limitation
of the current printing is that one can only select a single image to print. It
would be interesting if one could select multiple images and then they'd be
laid out contact-sheet-style?

> (I know that Holger Klemm (from multimedia4linux.de) made a
> lua-script
> for such a thing.-)

That sounds great. I'm curious how it is implemented.

> I created a (test) layout on a A4 (landscape) page with 4*3
> (quadratic
> 70*70) image areas. That preset works well.
> But another preset on a A4 (portrait) page with 4*5 (quadratic
> 52*52)
> image areas is much scrambled after storing it and loading it
> again.
> It seems for me, that the presets are stored in data.db as a BLOB,
> so I can't find out quickly, what went wrong.

You may have some control of this. Try adjusting "store XMP tags in compressed
format" in the storage tab of preferences to "never".

> I think you are right: the multi-image layouts should be kept too.
> However for me it would be "enough", that I can switch between
> multiple
> views in one session without losing the print settings. But indeed
> it
> would be (much) nicer, if those settings aren't lost between
> multiple
> sessions.-)

> I'm not sure if a feature request is a good idea (but I can try
> it).

A feature request would be quite helpful. It's a good way to keep track of
these things!

> François reckoned "dt developers have surely more important things
> to do ?"

It depends... I'm very interested in the print view (though short of time).