On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:51:47AM +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
> On 23/08/10 21:35, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:
> > I think you should do what you think is best for the stability of your
> > product. Because dash releases are not extensively tested, I'd recommend
> > a trial build of at least a minimal base system with the new version you
> > choose. A particular feature to be wary of is LINENO support, as it will
> > cause most configure scripts to accept dash as a usable shell.

> Thanks, I'm aware of that. I already locally exported CONFIG_SHELL, so
> that even without LINENO support the configure scripts were already run
> from dash.

> That reminds me: the LINENO support is useful, but the tracking of line
> numbers has some issues:

> $ src/dash -c 'f() { echo $LINENO; }
> '
> 2
> 3

> But this is not new, and not limited to LINENO:

> $ cat >foo.sh
> if :; then
> foo
> :
> :
> :
> :
> :
> fi
> $ src/dash foo.sh
> foo.sh: 8: foo: not found
> $ bash foo.sh
> foo.sh: line 2: foo: command not found

> I have a patch that improves this by storing the line numbers in the
> command nodes, if you're interested, but it needs polishing before I
> plan on sending it here or anywhere, and there are probably some corner
> cases that it mishandles.

Yes, I think that's the proper way to implement LINENO.

FreeBSD sh avoids extending the nodes by detecting expansions of LINENO
at parse time and storing the line number at that time. However, this is
only possible because it does not print a line number when there is an
error in a builtin.

> [IFS=", "]
> > I think the important thing is that IFS characters are supposed to be
> > field terminators (see POSIX XCU 2.6.5 Field Splitting).

> > Therefore, in the example " 1 ,2 3," there are three fields, each
> > containing one digit, and each variable is assigned one of them.

> The more I read it, the more I'm actually becoming convinced that zsh is
> doing the right thing, and dash is almost doing the right thing.

> 2.6.5 uses the term "delimiter", not "terminator". They don't mean the
> same thing. A delimiter can mark the start of a field as well as the
> end. And if you compare susv2 with susv3, you may see susv2 is a lot
> clearer than v3 on one point, because it ends the "Field Splitting"
> section with a note.

> "The last rule can be summarised as a pseudo-ERE:

>     (s*ns*|s+)

>  where s is an white-space character and n is a character in the
>  that is not white space. Any string matching that ERE delimits a
>  field, except that the s+ form does not delimit fields at the
>  beginning or the end of a line." (followed by an example)

> This says the s+ form does not delimit fields at the end of a line,
> which strongly implies that the s*ns* form does. The wording is wrong no
> matter how you look at it (splitting "a  " results in one field "a", not
> one field "a  "), and the note has been removed in susv3. Still, it
> manages to somewhat clarify the rest of text.

POSIX.1-2008 (aka SUSv4) says, at one point, that the shell shall "use
the delimiters as field terminators".

The specification of field splitting did indeed change at some point, so
that a final non-whitespace IFS character does not have a final empty
field after it. Likely, the old spec was not what was intended as the
System V sh behaved much like the new spec (though not exactly).
Generally, the POSIX shell command language is designed to match the
Bourne shell (as in System V) and ksh88, and deviations from this are
mentioned in the rationale. Note that this does not mean that either the
Bourne shell or ksh88 are compliant.

> > In the example " 1 ,2 3,," there are four fields, the last being empty.
> > Then c is assigned the third field plus the delimiter character and the
> > remaining fields and their delimiters except trailing whitespace that is
> > in IFS. Hence, both commas end up in c.

> The read command description states:

> "If there are fewer var operands specified than there are fields, the
>  leftover fields and their intervening separators shall be assigned to
>  the last var."

> If " 1 ,2 3,," forms four fields, where the fourth field is the empty
> string between the two trailing commas, then the final comma is not an
> "intervening separator", so it should be excluded from c.

The description of the read utility is also different in POSIX.1-2008.
It does not talk about "intervening separators" but about "delimiters"
in general.

The intention is that if there are more fields than variables, the final
variable receive the exact text after the already assigned fields and
their delimiters (apart from trailing IFS whitespace). The POSIX.1-2008
text achieves this if used with the POSIX.1-2008 field splitting rules,
and so does the text you cited if used with the old field splitting
rules (which result in five fields for " 1 ,2 3,,").

--
Jilles Tjoelker