Harald van Dijk <har...@gigawatt.nl> wrote:
> That isn't the problem, not exactly anyway. The problem is that getopts
> is required to keep internal state separately from the OPTIND variable
> (a single integer is insufficient to track the progress when multiple
> options are combined in a single word), and that internal state is
> stored along with the positional parameters. The positional parameters
> are saved just before a function call, and restored when the function
> returns. The internal state of getopts should not be saved the same way.
> It should probably just be global to dash.

I think the current behaviour is fine as far as POSIX is concerned.
It says:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/getopts.html

: APPLICATION USAGE

: Note that shell functions share OPTIND with the calling shell
: even though the positional parameters are changed. If the calling
: shell and any of its functions uses getopts to parse arguments,
: the results are unspecified.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herb...@gondor.apana.org.au>