On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 01:07:44AM +0300, Oleg Bulatov wrote:
> trying to minimize a shell code I found an unobvious moment with
> heredocs and subshells.

> Is it specified by POSIX how next code should be parsed? dash output
> for this code differs from bash and zsh.

> --- code
> prefix() { sed -e "s/^/$1:/"; }
> DASH_CODE() { :; }
>
> prefix A <<XXX && echo "$(prefix B <<XXX
> echo line 1
> XXX
> echo line 2)" && prefix DASH_CODE <<DASH_CODE
> echo line 3
> XXX
> echo line 4)"
> echo line 5
> DASH_CODE

> --- bash 4.3.42 output:
> A:echo line 3
> B:echo line 1
> line 2
> DASH_CODE:echo line 4)"
> DASH_CODE:echo line 5

> --- dash 0.5.8 output:
> A:echo line 1
> B:echo line 2)" && prefix DASH_CODE <<DASH_CODE
> B:echo line 3
> line 4
> line 5

I think POSIX is clear that the bash/zsh behaviour is correct and the
dash behaviour is wrong. In XCU 2.6.3 Command Substitution, it says:

] With the $(command) form, all characters following the open
] parenthesis to the matching closing parenthesis constitute the
] command.

Therefore, the shell should not start reading the here-document
belonging to  prefix A <<XXX  while it is still inside the command
substitution  $(prefix B <<XXX.

Instead, the here-document belonging to  prefix B <<XXX  should be read.
The line ending the command substitution contains another <<
redirection; the here-documents are read in order of the <<
redirections.

In FreeBSD sh, another ash derivative, I fixed this in
FreeBSD SVN r208655,
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/930ce3922652c50fc8b621b14b6238b325d7f16f

Interestingly, mksh parses this in yet another way. In unmodified form,
it fails with  here document 'XXX' unclosed. After appending an XXX
line, it outputs: