On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 03:06:32PM +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:

> >Since bash itself is inconsistent, and POSIX unclear,
> What exactly is unclear about the sentence of POSIX that I quoted? Is there
> a legitimate interpretation of "It is unspecified whether A or B" that
> allows other behaviour than A or B?

The tricky part is coming up with a way to actually produce an
unescaped backslash.  The only thing I can think of is EOF and
even there every shell seems to kill the backslash even before
we get to the pathname expansion:

touch asdf bsdf

$ ksh -c 'v="?sdf\\"; printf "%s\n" ?sdf\'
asdf
bsdf
$ ksh -c 'v="?sdf\\"; printf "%s\n" ?asdf\'
?asdf
$

Incidentally, the fact that POSIX includes such a line at all would
indicate that these shells are all buggy because as it currently
stands, there is no way to actually produce an unescaped backslash
in these shells.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herb...@gondor.apana.org.au>