On 22 January 2013 10:44, Alex <a...@sicanstudios.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I’m trying to get the previous and next item (articles) from a database
> with Datamapper. I thought of doing it with the serial identifier
>
> property :id,         Serial
>

> and increment/decrease this number to find the previous/next posts of that
> particular article, but it doesn’t work. Because the serial is incremented
> fine for new articles (1,2,3,4,5), but if you delete say id: #3, then the
> next article of #2 will be #4, not #3.
>
> Do you know if there is an easier/more correct way to do it with
> Datamapper?

Hey Alex,

Sounds like you're missing a concept in your application. Perhaps you
should add some kind of ordering/page column to your table if you need to
be explicit about ordering? This way you could rearrange the ordering if
necessary, ensure uniqueness for pages/ordering and other goodness.

Alternatively, if you're storing created_at timestamps on your tables you
could use this as a surrogate for ordering.

Cheers,
Ben