I am generating a web page that will ultimately display a lot of
content--perhaps something like 50 categories each with 20 subjects each
with 10 photos. I am devising a caching strategy both at the database layer
and the UI layer, but I had a question about the former I want to pose to
the experts here.

So the association would look something *display.categories.subjects.photos.
*It seems to me just eyeballing that *display.categories.subjects* will be
an expensive call I would like to cache.

Imagine the following category model:

class Category
  include DataMapper::Resource

  property :id, Serial
  has n, :subjects

  def subjects
     Rails.cache.fetch(self.id) { attribute_get(:subjects) #or something }
  end
end

Basically I want to override *subjects* so that I grab the cache of it if
available. Otherwise, execute *subjects* as it
would normally without the override to return the association from a
database query.

However, no matter what I try-- attribute_get, super, various combinations
of each--I can't manage to solve this. I really don't want to have a second
method to expose the cached association and betray those implementation
details to my client code.

Any ideas on this are appreciated.

Thanks.