Thanks a lot Shree. I will get in touch with them.

Just to update the group. I did a small POC recently to see if
its achievable.  I think its quite possible even-though a little difficult.
 I posted the results on my blog a few minutes back.
http://thejeshgn.com/2014/03/06/bangalore-tree-survey-poc-results/  I am
pasting the content here for easy access. Please do reply, specially
regarding the questions

<http://thejeshgn.com/?author=1>Bangalore Tree Survey – POC
Results<http://thejeshgn.com/2014/03/06/bangalore-tree-survey-poc-results/>
by Thejesh GN <http://thejeshgn.com/?author=1>

Bangalore, once upon a time called Garden city, still has quite a bit of
green cover. Almost every week we read a story about cutting down trees for
some reason. But nobody knows the details, including the people who write
those articles. I thought it would be great if you had a baseline survey of
trees, which can be used for comparing, or many other stories and studies.
But imagine mapping every public tree (tress in public areas like road,
parks etc) in Bangalore. It will probably take years if I start doing it
alone. But then there wa no way to find out other than trying it out.

So I asked
DataMeet<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/datameet/Yi75C8sTZps>
as
usual. I figured that a PoC by me would be a great place to begin. Hence I
installed ODK on my phone and ODK
aggregator<https://openbangalore.appspot.com/> on
server to collect the survey data. That was easier than I thought. Then this
monday I walked around for 15
minutes<http://runkeeper.com/user/thej/activity/312721051?&tripIdBase36=566p3v>
survey the trees, in an area which has lots of trees. I mapped around 18
tress in 15 minutes by walking half a kilometer. Some screen shots from the
apps

[image:
treesurvey_poc1]<https://thejeshgn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/treesurvey_poc1.png>

[image:
treesurvey_poc3]<https://thejeshgn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/treesurvey_poc3.png>

[image:
treesurvey_poc4]<https://thejeshgn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/treesurvey_poc4.png>

[image:
treesurvey_poc2]<https://thejeshgn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/treesurvey_poc2.png>

Some issues that I faced
1. GPS logging is not very accurate. It has 4 to 8 meters of error, how do
we fix it?
2. Roughly every tree takes 2 minutes, take a picture of tree, take a
picture of leaves/fruits/flowers, geo tag. How long will it take for whole
Bangalore. It has to be done by foot right?
3. Quality of pictures, depends on the time of day, camera quality, how big
the tree is and patience

Some ideas, learning and questions
1. ODC is easy to use, works really well, even offline
2. Crowd source: Can we crowd source this project? We can have mapping
parties. People just need mobile (no internet) and time. Once they finish
the survey, they can either come to the camp or go home to sync the data
3. We can use maps (gis) to assign the roads, areas to groups. Check the
progress and coverage. This will help in organizing
4. Can we finish this in years time? What about delta after that?
5. What else can we do?
6. What kind of data do we collect live? For example Tree name can be
figure later.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN *⏚* ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್