Four months later I have finally finished mapping all of the 2011 census
subdistricts in India.  Thanks everyone for your help!

<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-L-Rj8LKWiCs/VDgssb7QODI/AAAAAAAAANs/fHCWcCE4yUI/s1600/india_admin3_2011.png>

<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TrxaRalKrMI/VDgs1HZRbLI/AAAAAAAAAN0/xdjCvdvd8N8/s1600/ia3s.jpg>

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qNnf-U6DurY/VDgtpe4mWYI/AAAAAAAAAN8/vO_REgNnBPE/s1600/IVTSFV05yxe7txr10pbv007.jpg>

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:16:44 AM UTC-4, Sharad Lele wrote:

> Justin,
>
> Just one comment:
>
> "Locations" is a loose concept, and mapped in wikimapia it is even more
> vague. As elsewhere, in India, words like location, settlement or even
> village mean different things to different people. Census follows a
> rigorous definition, using 'revenue villages' as the main unit, with
> 'forest villages' in a few cases. In wikimapia, one may see tags for
> hamlets that are subsets of revenue villages (but have a different
> name), but their data will be part of the census data of the revenue
> village.
>
> Sharad
> On 01-Oct-14 6:32 PM, Justin Meyers wrote:
> > The last little problem with the census data is that it is missing
> > hundreds, if not thousands of locations.  In looking at some village
> > level data, there are clearly two or more different villages/
> > settlements in some of their village polygons.  although OSM and
> > wikimapia are crowd projects, I believe some of the data there is
> > correct.
>
> --
> Democratizing Forest Governance in India
> (In press with Oxford University Press India)

      • Re: [datam... Justin Meyers
        • Re: [d... Sharad Lele
          • Re... Justin Meyers
            • ... Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]