Hey Nitin,

We have been trying to figure out how to put pincodes on the map and
open the data. I'm going to try and answer some of your questions. But
others on this group will also chip in.

> -as the main basis of data is geonames, and that itself has many
> errors for india, was there some algorithm which you applied to
> identify and/or correct those errors. If there is an algorithm for
> that, are you planning to open source that?

The source code for pincode.datameet.org is here -
https://github.com/sanand0/pincode
Do feel free to poke around.

This is a crowdsourced effort - there are people making changes all
the time. You can see this in the feed -
http://pincode.datameet.org/feed

> -did you also make use of osm data. i was curious if the CC license
> under which pincode.datameet provides its data is compliant with osm
> terms.

I don't think we are using OSM yet. But yes, definitely possible. This
is the coverage of PIN codes on OSM -
https://api.tiles.mapbox.com/v4/planemad.9acc2036/page.html?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicGxhbmVtYWQiLCJhIjoiemdYSVVLRSJ9.g3lbg_eN0kztmsfIPxa9MQ#6/22.269/81.365

> -if not osm, did you use any other source apart from geonames. i could
> see some entries made by community over web.
>
> -are you people still actively looking for some alternative resources
> or algorithms? do you have any suggestions on the current state of
> india pincode-geo mapping?

Absolutely - we are open on all fronts to improve the data we have. Do
you have ideas?
For some context, you can read -
https://datameet.hackpad.com/PINCODE-Hell.-M4hPFJVV2Gm

Cheers,