<using an old thread, please advise if its better to create a new thread>

I am trying to work on gathering data on water sources (rural) and sewage
discharge (urban) and struggling with both the data and structure.

The use case (based on Shafeeq's suggestion) is:
RURAL: choose a state first, then the district, then sub-district, then
village. In Gujarat, we add a textbox for faliya (not in db)
URBAN: choose a state first, then the district, then sub-district, then
town, then ward.

My choices are to:

1. keep one table for both towns and villages and mark towns as 'urban'.
Then when they select the town (internally marked as urban) present an
additional dropdown for ward.

2. keep separate tables for towns and villages and present urban/rural
checkbox at the sub-district level and then choose which data to put in the
dropdown based on whether user checks urban.

I prefer 1, but am struggling with names and data. Bangalore has both rural
and urban and villages are transitioning from rural to urban. It seems
cleaner to ask the user whether they are entering data for urban or rural.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Rajesh