Hi,
Since there was discussion around Land Use - Built up areas, people can
also see LULC maps Bhuvan makes available for India as both a Web Map
Service and in the form of the original raster. They prepare LULC maps for
India at a scale of 1:250k annually since 2004-05 and 1:50k (higher
resolution) once in every five years (2005-06, 2010-11) The 1:50k maps are
available only as a WMS (useful only for visualization), but 1:250k are
available as a raster GeoTIFF (which lends itself to analysis). You have to
go through a certain procedure and fill out an MoU and mail them a letter
explaining your intent, then follow it up with a few phone calls.
See here: http://bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in/gis/thematic/index.php#

I applied for the raster for the Mahanadi River Basin, (80-87E and 19-24N)
for all 10 years from 2004-05 to 2013-14, on behalf of the NGO that I work
for and they have made it available to us with a single use license (wish
it was open access, but this is still better than nothing) As per my
understanding they process each request and verify that no areas of concern
for national security are within our specified area of interest before
making it available.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nO519H0_8gI/VrQ4zn8QOEI/AAAAAAAABls/9uKV-07tXwE/s1600/LULC%2Bsnapshot.JPG>

The classification has the following categories

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mw0ZLYNJIRo/VrQ3Mk-Is3I/AAAAAAAABlg/OylyMVrMwWs/s1600/lulc_classes.JPG>