Hi Justin,
Speaking from the Datameet Pune group here. We also have the files, for
many states. Dev helped us with figuring out an open WFS endpoint on the
Bhuvan site.
Since then we've downloaded the data for these 10 states.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S7HsiDOFTsY/V4DjtM11JdI/AAAAAAAABxg/qSwEjZrK4c45xxcjWU9HcR2_gkb_Rw22ACLcB/s1600/03_07_2016.JPG>

We've also been really keen on publishing the datasets. To answer your
question as to why haven't we done it yet.

- Yes, the fear of having to answer the question of how we got the files is
one reason.

- Secondly, we're working on cleaning them up and adding census attribute
data to them. Like Dev said, the Bhuvan shapefile isn't an exact match to
the census list of villages. But we've found that with some cleaning we
still get a very usable dataset.

Once we create thematic visualizations from these its easier to show their
usefulness and get broader support from academics,civil society (rather
than just tech groups) asking for these datasets to be open.

Take the savethemap campaign for example. Its hard to spread awareness when
not many people understand what impact it could have.

One thing making the cleaning process cumbersome is that not all of the
files have both village codes 2001 and 2011 in their attribute tables. It
seems that some of the files we downloaded were a work in progress. For
example when I first downloaded Maharashtra it didn't have any 2011 census
codes. When another of the DM Pune guys downloaded Maharashtra a few weeks
later it had both 2001 and 2011 census codes.

Having said all this it's obviously no good if we do all the cleaning up
and then don't have a plan for publishing it. Its about time already! I
suggest we have a dialogue about this within this group about the best way
to do it. Perhaps Thej, Nisha can comment?

Best

Craig