Hi,
I have used 68th round data for agri consumption and poverty estimation
using STATA.
I am assuming that the raw data you are referring to is also available in
.txt format. As I know, the NSSO data has a highly structured format -
Schedule.Level>Block>Item No. The variables are not declared in the raw
data. These variables are to be understood from the "layout" file for that
specific round (released along with the NSSO round data) and this is
available along with raw data.

The data is a long string characters. These are read in a specific manner.
The layout file will specify how many characters must be read together to
form each variable. So it could look like -
v11 1-3 v12 4-8 v13 9-10 v14 11-13 v15 14-14 v16 15-15 v17 16-18 v18 19-20
v19 21-22 v110 23-24 v111 25-25 v112 26-26 and so on.

Now, this is the data that is then called from your software, to be read
from a raw data file (.txt) and then a table of required variables is
obtained for analysis. In a sense, the raw data is always excerpted for
analysis. And for this one begins with the layout file to check the
variables of interest and how they are encoded in the data.

I am not sure this helps. With STATA it works a bit easy. With R, I do not
know how to assemble the same dataframe, although the analysis using the
variables will be a breeze.

Best
Sachin